Friday, April 29, 2011

The Ultimate Caesar Salad: my mom's favorite



A few years ago while my mom was over for a visit, my hubby Kelly grilled a bunch of romaine lettuce heads on the BBQ and drizzled this salad dressing with grated parmesan cheese and freshly ground black pepper sprinkled on top. The result was spectacular and my mom talked about it for months thereafter. "Who would ever think to grill lettuce" she would say. Such a simple salad but so perfect it certainly does not need the crutch of croutons. Tonight we served ours with an organic BBQ'd steak from Empire Valley Beef on the side. Perfection.

Caesar Salad Dressing
from Rebar modern food cookbook

(yields 1 1/12 cups)
1 bulb of roasted garlic (drizzle olive oil over the top to roast)
juice of 1 lemon
1 tbsp capers
1 tbsp caper juice
1 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
2 garlic cloves (I only used one since I was going out later and didn't want super stinky breath)
pinch salt
black pepper to taste
1/3 cup grated parmesan
1 cup olive oil

Combine ingredients, except oil in a food processor or blender and blend. Add olive oil in a thin stream. I served our dressing on grilled romaine lettuce with extra parmesan cheese and cracked pepper sprinkled on top.











1 comment:

  1. I've never thought of grilling romaine lettuce! that sounds like a great great idea plus it sounds easy yet yummy! (:

    ReplyDelete