Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Spicy Cauliflower




After my fantastic birthday weekend of being spoiled by my two men and pure indulgence ie. cheesecake, brownies and too many glasses of red wine to even remember, I thought I'd better make something a little detoxifying. This recipe from Vij's at home is surprisingly quick and simple to make despite the long list of spices. I served mine with a side of quinoa and papadum which is a thin crisp, indian flatbread which can be eaten as a snack or alongside any meal. I discovered my love for papadum many years ago during a memorable trip to India with my adventurous sister Melody, I love its crunchy and nutty taste which always takes me back to that magical country.

Spicy Cauliflower
adapted slightly from Vij's at home

1 head cauliflower
1 tablespoon olive oil
1.5 cups pureed tomatoes
1 Tbsp finely chopped ginger
salt to taste
1 tsp tumeric
1 Tbsp cumin
1 Tbsp coriander
1 tsp cayenne pepper
*10 cloves (optional
pinch of cinnamon

* I accidentally misread this and added 5 cloves of garlic which actually tasted really great.

Cut up the cauliflower into large pieces, wash carefully in water. Combine oil and tomatoes in a pan and add spices. Saute well for 3-4 minutes and then add cauliflower. Reduce to low and cook until cauliflower is fully cooked but not too soft. Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment