Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Moscow Mule



Last fall, in the cold and rainy weeks and months after I first had my baby boy, I spent most of my time alone with my baby inside our apartment. In fact, some days I never even left. And I'll admit it now, while I was caring for my newborn baby and trying to maintain a moderate level of sanity I also watched a lot of daytime television. And so every day at 4pm I eagerly turned the TV on to see what my new best friend Oprah was up to and everyday I laughed and I cried right along with her. I kept telling myself it was all those raging postpartum hormones and so I indulged myself.

One of my very favorite episodes in Oprah's Fairwell Season was when Oprah and Gayle went camping in Yosemite Park. I sang along with them in their car, I watched in envy as they went fly fishing and I laughed out loud to my baby all their crazy antics.

One of my very favourite moments during their trip was when Oprah whipped up a big batch of Moscow Mules and served them to all her camping neighbours, I was left drooling with jealousy at home. I had never heard of this exotic drink before but something about the freshly squeezed lime juice combined with fresh mint and cold ginger beer sounded utterly fantastic and so I vowed that I would make it once summer came.

Well, summer and sunshine are finally here in Vancouver and so I finally made this much needed cocktail.

Moscow Mule (serves 1)
from Oprah

1 ounce vodka
1 tsp sugar syrup
freshly squeezed lime juice (to taste, about 1/4 cup)
1/2 cup ginger beer
1 spig fresh mint
1 slice of lime

Oprah recommend's using a copper mug, but who has that lying around? So if you don't have one use a regular glass and pour vodka over ice. Add sugar syrup and lime juice. Top with ginger beer and stir. Garnish with lime wedge and mint sprig.

2 comments:

  1. hello, summer. it just so happens I have some phillips ginger beer in the fridge (best ginger beer around!)... I may have this for lunch.

    ReplyDelete