Saturday, November 12, 2011

Dad's Cheese Scones


One of my all time favourite breakfast foods is scones...soft and fluffy on the inside with a little crunch on the outside, hot from the oven with some melted butter and sweet jam slathered on. It's always a nice way to wake up, especially if someone else has made them of course.

My dad loves to cook up a full breakfast on the weekends and scones is one of his specialties. Whenever I go to my parents for a visit he always whips up a batch of muffins or scones for us and it's always fantastic. You can tell by the recipe below that it's a goody due to the discoloured and stained paper. 

So even though I'm a terrible baker I finally decided to borrow his recipe and give it a go. I shredded in some sharp white cheddar cheese to make them savoury but you could easily use the recommended currants that the recipe suggests. This recipe is pretty foolproof since they worked out well even for me. Enjoy!

Cheese Scones
from the archives of Richard Wey

1/3 cup butter or margarine
13/4 cup flour
3 Tbsp sugar
21/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup shredded cheddar (or currants)
4 to 6 Tbsp cream (I used homo milk)
1 egg

Using 2 knives and a medium size bowl, cut the butter into the bowl until crumbly. Add sugar, baking powder and salt. 

Stir in beaten eggs and currants (or cheese). Add cream gradually and mix in. 

Using a floured surface, knead about 12 times. Roll to 1/2 inch thickness.

Cut in shapes and put on a lightly buttered cookie sheet. Brush each with a beaten egg. 

Bake at 400 degrees F for 10-12 minutes.



1 comment:

  1. I love scones! I have only made them once though despite my love of baking. I think I am just too intimidated by the possibility of screwing them up. The recipe I used said that lots of (real) butter is the key for the amazing texture. This has inspired me to get over it and just make some already! thanks for that :~)

    ReplyDelete