Monday, May 30, 2011

Monday, Monday: beluga lentils with roasted kabocha squash


In order to start the week off healthy and right in hopes of erasing some weekend missteps, I decided to make something from the Mark Bittman cooking app How to Cook Everything. This is a super cool little app if you are an iphone user with 2000 healthy recipes with several easy search options all for only 5 bucks! Talk about a steal of a deal! As you know I am a big Bittman fan and so this was far too tempting for me to resist.

I started out with good intentions but quickly hit a road block when I attempted to cut up the kabocha squash. Seems it would be easier to chisel my way through a cement wall. Nonetheless, I decided to save the job for Kelly when he got home from work. This meant loads of time to put the squash to other uses, like a fun toy for my little guy (see below).

All in all, this recipe was another home run for Bittman. I chose to use Kabocha squash since I love its sweet taste but really any squash would do the job. My only criticism if any was that I found it slightly dry and so next time I will add more chicken stock and white wine.


Lentils with Roasted Kabocha Squash
from Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything App


2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
2 tsp minced garlic
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 cups chicken, beef or vegetable stock or water
1 cup dried brown lentils (I used beluga lentils)
salt and freshly ground black pepper
chopped fresh parsley for garnish
2 cups roasted squash of choice (I used kabocha)

1. Put the oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. A minute later, add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.

2.  Add the bay leaf, wine, stock and lentils and bring to boil. Adjust the heat so the mixture bubbles gently, cover partially and cook, stirring occasionally and adding water if necessary until lentils are tender, 25-30 minutes. Season with Salt and pepper and cook until lentils are desired tenderness. The lentils should be saucy but not soupy. Taste, adjust the seasoning and remove bay leaf/ Sprinkle with parsley and serve or store, covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.

3. Add 2 cups of roasted squash. Cut Squash into small cubes, toss in olive oil in coast and salt and pepper. Roast on a baking sheet at 375 degrees F until tender and caramelized. Add squash to the lentils in the last 10 minutes of cooking.


No comments:

Post a Comment